LASCYPAA Suggested Position Descriptions
Chairperson: Suggested 2 years of sobriety time.
- Responsible for the overall functioning of the committee.
- Conducts all business in accordance with the LASCYPAA Bylaws.
- Shall arrange for and announce the agenda for all LASCYPAA meetings; open LASCYPAA meetings and maintain reasonable order during meetings; recognize members entitled to the floor; state and put to a vote all motions properly made and seconded; announce the results of all votes; affix his or her signature to necessary committee actions; and be one of 3 or 4 signatures on the bank account; a working knowledge of the 12 steps and 12 traditions, and 12 concepts.
- Is responsible for calling emergency meetings, maintains records throughout the year. Holds all elected committee members accountable for the duties of their position and ensures that all tasks are accomplished. In the event the committee votes to relieve a member of their elected position, it is the Chair’s responsibility to inform him or her of the committee’s decision.
- Should keep well informed of what is happening on each sub- committee. Informs the Secretary of upcoming meetings and changes.
- Responsible for making sure that someone is at Area Assembly to give a report to Advisory and the Sunday business meeting.
Co-Chairperson: Suggested 2 years of sobriety time.
- Shall work closely with the Chair, assist the Chair during discussion by keeping track of those who wish to speak; and, in the event that any position is not filled, shall be responsible for fulfilling the duties of that
- position and/or find someone to do so. If Chairperson is absent, shall be responsible for Chairperson’s duties. If Chair position is left vacant, shall automatically assume position, including being a signer on the bank account.
- Should have a working knowledge of A.A.’s 12 Steps, 12 Traditions, and 12 Concepts. Assists Chair with ensuring that all tasks are accomplished. Carries out various duties assigned by the Chair.
- Acts as one of 3 or four possible signers for the committee bank account. Acts as a liaison between LASCYPAA and other area committees, staying informed of their activities and contacting them
- when necessary. In the event the committee votes to relieve the Chair of their elected position, it is the Co-Chair’s responsibility to inform
- him or her of the committee’s decision. Should keep well informed of what is happening on each sub-committee and assist as needed.
Treasurer: Suggested 2 years of sobriety time along with permanent home address, bank account in good standing, and a job.
- Keeps an up-to-date financial report, closely tracks income and expenses. Shall have this report available for approval at all committee meetings.
- Has in his or her possession at every committee meeting all bank statements, deposits, and checkbooks so as to be prepared to make deposits and/or disbursements. Maintains
- all financial accounts, in the name of LASCYPAA, which are subject to inspection at any time. Acts as one of 3 or four possible signers for the committee bank account. Ensures that annual rents, P.O. Box fees, and all other bills are paid on time.
- Is responsible for recruiting volunteers to collect money at the door for all events. Assist the
- Advisory Council and host committee activities chairperson with financial and activity planning to ensure that the conference maintains its financial obligations. Treasurer is authorized to allocate no more than $50 in emergency funds without committee approval.
Secretary: Suggested 1 year of sobriety time.
- Acts as the custodian of all committee materials.
- Answers all correspondence promptly and in the spirit of LASCYPAA.
- Makes available to committee member’s copies of all correspondence pertaining to the committee or A.A as a whole. Ensures that all documentation and other communications media maintains the integrity and language as described in the LASCYPAA Bylaws.
- Keeps accurate minutes of all committee meetings including exact wording for all motions, as well as major points of discussion.
- Keep minutes of all committee meetings, save minutes and agenda and bring them to committee meetings.
- Maintain roll/attendance of committee members.
- Responsible for maintaining a calendar of events.
- Distribute agenda by e-mail no later than ten (10) days prior to all committee meetings, and to all committee members. Minutes should be emailed to the LASCYPAA host committee, and advisory within two weeks of the committee meeting. Responsible for acquiring minutes from all sub-committee meetings to keep on file.
- Read the previous meeting’s minutes for approval at each committee meeting. Maintains a current contact list of all committee members and positions held.
- Responsible for sending an email notification of all upcoming committee meetings and events to the committee members.
By-Laws: Suggested 1 year of sobriety time.
- If committee decides to not use LASCYPAA Advisory By Laws. Have a working knowledge of the 12 Steps, 12 Traditions and 12 Concepts of AA World Service. Hold ad-hoc meetings to draft governing bylaws for presentation to and approval by the committee.
- Be responsible for enforcing and maintaining these rules of procedure set forth in the bylaws. Interrupt committee proceedings to clarify points-of-order.
- Shall be responsible for knowing procedures and aiding in efficient conduct of participants during business meeting in accordance with the LASCYPAA By-Laws; organize sub-committee meetings when By-Law amendments are requested by any LASCYPAA member; and have a copy of the current By-Laws at every LASCYPAA business meeting.
- Conduct a Bylaws review meeting once during the committee term, and submit any proposed changes in writing to the following business meeting for approval.
In reach: Suggested 6 months of sobriety time.
- Shall be responsible for coordinating and attending weekly In reach meetings within our area, particularly meetings and fellowships that are not well represented within our committee.
- Shall distribute all committee fliers in person and online.
- Willing and able to travel across state to share LASCYPAA news and events.
Outreach: Suggested 6 months of sobriety time as well as access to a car.
- The outreach chairperson shall outreach all LASCYPAA functions within the Twelve Traditions of A.A. Acts as liaison between LASCYPAA and Area Assembly. Should attend Area assembly with Chair and share LASCYPAA progress and events.
- Maintains relationship with statewide central offices and keep them up to date on events.
- Willing and able to travel across state and neighboring states to share LASCYPAA news and events.
- Should develop and implement an outreach plan that includes the entire state. Responsible for outreaching all LASCYPAA and committee functions. Works closely with the Events and Graphics Chairs in order to produce outreach materials for all scheduled events.
- Distributes fliers to A.A. clubhouses, central offices, treatments centers, individual members, meetings, and other A.A. functions throughout local city, the surrounding areas, state, and to infinity and beyond. Coordinates announcements about LASCYPAA committee meetings and events at A.A. meetings.
- Forwards all pertinent outreach information to the Website Chair.
- Stores the out reach table materials.
- Responsible for coordinating volunteers and transportation of outreach table materials to and from all LASCYPAA presence requests.
- May form a sub-committee and should keep the full committee informed of discussions and actions taken at these meetings.
Events: Suggested 1 year of sobriety time.
- Shall find locations and arrange events that promote unity and recovery among young people in AA, regardless of age.
- Has knowledge of A.A. Traditions and plans events in conformity with them.
- Coordinates committee-approved budgets with the Treasurer.
- Develops ideas for events and arranges all aspects of such events, including but not limited to the place, date, time, speakers, costs, refreshments, music (if necessary), etc.
- Recruits volunteers to help organize and run all events.
- Works closely with the Outreach and Graphics Chairs in order to produce outreach materials for all scheduled events. May form a sub-committee and should keep the
- full committee informed of discussions and actions taken at these meetings. Present a proposal for events to committee for approval.
- Is responsible for finding committees to co-host our events.
Graphics: Suggested 6 months of sobriety time.
- Designs and produces all approved printed and digital material requiring graphics (fliers, tickets, banners, t-shirts, etc.)
- Has access to a computer with appropriate digital technologies.
- Works closely with the Events and Outreach Chairs in order to produce outreach materials for all scheduled events.
- Researches economical production options and presents them to the committee for final decision by group conscience.
- Works with registration chair on registration flier.
Program: Suggested 1 year of sobriety time.
- Shall fulfill AA meeting obligations at LASCYPAA events.
- Works in collaboration with events chair, entertainment chair, speaker chair, and graphics chair.
- Shall come up with schedule for actual LASCYPAA conference and make readily available to attendees however host committee sees fit (printed programs, posters etc..).
- Is responsible for creating “podium book” for conference.
- May form sub-committee and should keep the full committee informed of discussions and actions taken at these meetings. Responsible for coordinating marathon meetings if host committee decides to do so at conference.
Prayer: No minimum sobriety.
- Responsible for opening and closing all committee meetings with a prayer. Responsible for reminding the committee of the spiritual aspect of our service work.
- Has full authority to stop committee meeting for a prayer during heated debate, ever reminding us of our primary purpose.
Literature: Suggested 90 days of sobriety time.
- Act as the caretaker of AA literature and making sure it is available at committee meetings and all events.
- Obtains literature from GSO, central office, and The A.A. Grapevine Office when necessary.
- Acts as a liaison between LASCYPAA and the Area Literature and Area Grapevine/La Viña Committees to ensure that literature and Grapevine/La Viña materials are available for purchase or distribution at all LASCYPAA events, as the committee deems appropriate.
- Informs the Grapevine/La Viña of upcoming LASCYPAA events.
Hospitality: Suggested 6 months of sobriety time.
- Shall create a menu for conference.
- Be responsible for purchasing and making available all food, and beverages at conference.
- Should recruit help during conference and work closely with program chair and hotel chair to ensure fluidity and be aware of any restrictions the hotel may have.
- Responsible for creating a budget and present to committee for approval.
- Responsibilities include procuring silverware, cups, plates, bowls, etc. Will submit receipts to treasurer prior to event.
- Coordinates with treasurer to make each money drop at the conference.
Coffee: No minimum sobriety.
- Responsible for the production of coffee at all LASCYPAA events and conference.
- Should work closely with hotel chair to be aware of any restrictions the hotel may have.
- Should recruit help during the conference to ensure coffee is available at all times.
- Responsible for creating a budget to present to committee for approval.
- Responsible for procuring all coffee supplies including coffee makers/ urns.
Unity: No minimum sobriety.
- Is responsible for hosting activities and meeting to promote unity among LASCYPAA committee members.
- These activities can be anything that brings members closer together and enhances the spiritual atmosphere and sense of community within our committee.
- Including but not limited to plain ordinary whoopee parties.
Website: Suggested 1 year of sobriety time Must have computer with internet connection.
- Responsible for creation and maintenance of LASCYPAA website upon establishment.
- Shall update the website for each event, but with a minimum of one update every month.
- Responsible for creating any social media page if committee agrees to have one.
- If social media page is created for the committee, the web chair is responsible that the settings are in agreement with AA traditions and concepts as well as any other requirements the committee sees fit. Works together with the Events, Graphics, and Outreach Chairs to make sure all outreach/events materials are posted and removed from the website in a timely manner.
- Works with registration chair to maintain the LASCYPAA email system and promptly updates whenever there is a change in the LASCYPAA committee roster.
- Makes sure website has ability to take registrations for conference and allows attendees to pay online if the committee agrees to do so. If and when committee decides to have a e-pay account, web chair shall work closely with treasurer and registration chair to ensure that they are aware of any payments or registrations that have been made.
Communications: Suggested 90 days of sobriety time.
- Shall distribute all “mass text” throughout LASCYPAA members related to LASCYPAA events, sub committee meetings, outreaching events, in reach meetings, business meetings, and all LASCYPAA related messages.
- This chair may not be used to distribute anything but AA related texts in spirit of the traditions.
- Shall have and maintain committee contact list and be able to distribute among committee.
Entertainment: Suggested 1 year of sobriety time.
- Coordinates all planned events at convention.
- Responsible for finding entertainment for the conference in timely manner.
- Prepares and submits budgets for the sound equipment or any other entertainment related expense, for conference to the committee.
- This includes, but is not limited to, all aspects of said events.
- May need to work closely with hotel chair to ensure hotel has no restrictions that may affect any entertainment.
Speaker: Suggested 1 year of sobriety time.
- Responsible for finding any and all speakers for conference the host committee agrees to have.
- Propose budget for all speaker expenses (ex hotel room, travel, gifts, and food).
- Shall find hosts, book flights and hotel rooms for speakers.
- Responsible for organizing any outing committee may have with speakers and their hosts during the conference (ex dinner one night).
- Arranges for the recording of all speakers at LASCYPAA, ensures the integrity of the audio files, and provides a copy of the digital audio files to the LASCYPAA Archives.
- If host committee agrees speaker chair is also responsible for procuring any and all speaker gifts.
Hotel: Suggested 2 years of sobriety time with a professional attire, attitude, and knowledge of business dealings and negotiation skills.
- Is responsible for locating, coordinating with, and contacting prospective hotels, sites, and venues for LASCYPAA.
- Obtains written commitments from facilities to comply with convention requirements.
- Shall represent LASCYPAA in a professional and responsible manner. Suggested to bring chair or co chair of committee to ensure consistency and clear recognition of negotiations.
- Must be in direct contact with LASCYPAA advisory committee during all negotiations.
- Signs final contract ONLY UPON APPROVAL from both the ADVISORY COUNCIL Hotel Liaison and the Conference Committee.
Registration: Suggested 2 years of sobriety time as well as excellent organizational skills and own a computer with internet.
- Keeps a running record of registration.
- Submits copies of registration flier to outreach for distribution.
- Prepares registration packets-name badges, program, and other special Conference items (such as markers and stickers).
- If committee agrees registration chair will Coordinates placement and seating of hearing impaired with the interpreter and other special needs requirements.
- Staffs Registration table at the Conference.
- Coordinates with Treasurer to make each money drop at the Conference.
- Informs committee of up to date registration numbers at each host committee meeting.
- Proposes budget of expenses for registration supplies and is responsible for purchasing such items.
Security: Suggested 6 months of sobriety time.
- Shall maintain a sign-up sheet for volunteers for security at the conference and make this sign-up sheet available at events throughout the year (usually 8 volunteers per three hour shift – obtain name, phone number & city).
- Coordinate with Hotel Chair to see that all hotel rules & regulations are known & followed.
- Assure respect for all guest areas, manners are expected AT ALL TIMES – we are guests.
- See that each person on security has some identification indicating they are security (ie. Ribbon on nametag, serenity keeper t-shirts etc.).
- Help participants Responsible for obtaining any communications equipment (such as walkie talkies) for the conference.
Merchandise: Suggested 1 year of sobriety time also suggested to own a computer with internet connection.
- May organize sub-committee.
- Shall solicit and accept all submissions of ideas for T-shirts emblem or artwork which agrees with the conference theme and which will appear on the memorabilia. responsible for proposing budget for all expenses.
- Conference committee shall vote on final design to appear on the t-shirt and other merchandise (Budget Approval Needed prior to ordering).
- Gets comparison pricing, lead times, deadlines, and places orders for merchandise.
- Make t-shirts, mugs, pens, buttons, hats, or any other printed objects available at all events prior (if desired) and at the conference.
- Responsible for inventory and sales of all merchandise and reporting back to the committee.
- Staffs merchandise table at conference keeping in mind that money will need to be kept and counted.
- Coordinates with treasurer to make each money drop at the conference.
Revised 1.14.17Click here to download the LASCYPAA Suggested Position Descriptions